Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Victoria Falls


Hey all! So, a couple things to add. Here is me going off the epic sandboard jump in Swakopmund. Not the best quality, but the guy caught me at a fine moment.
Also, it was so bizarre to drive on the left side of the road, on the right side of the car with the shifter on the left. It gave me some good practice. I think the weirdest thing was turning left on red.
Mike and I made it to Livingstone, Zambia with no problems. We settled into a nice backpackers hostel (camping outside since all the cheap options in town were booked). We explored town and found some great street food. We are definitely back to a more African-vibe area with big, street markets, cheap local food and people hanging out on the street. We have left the neat, paved roads and sterile malls of South Africa and are thoroughly enjoying Zambia.
Today we took a mini-bus down to the Falls. It really is the "Smoke that Thunders." We haven't gone into the national parks yet but we got some good views from the bridge between Zambia and Zimbabwe. The viewing is supposed to be better from the Zimbabwean side so we are planning to spend the day there tomorrow. Today, however, I was determined to go bungee jumping. The bridge at Victoria Falls has the world's 3rd highest jump at 111 meters (364 feet.) I must say it was totally worth it but also the scariest thing I have ever done in my life! It is more intense than skydiving because you have to throw yourself off the ledge when you feel like you aren't attached to anything. I personally prefer skydiving because you get a much longer fall and an upright landing.
Anyway, we are having lots of fun and planning our next week or so in the country. After that we are taking the train all the way to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania. The adventure continues.
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica,
    Sounds like quite the adventures lately. I'm jealous of the bungee jump (but I'm not sure this old body could handle it these days). I knew you'd like the falls. I hope you see as many rainbows as we did. Miss 'ya kiddo. Hope to talk to you soon. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete