Sunday, January 10, 2010

Start your engines

I had an awesome birthday. Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes, it was so amazing. I went out to a couple bars with Liz and my parents and of course BSU won just for me! Got two free birthday shots :-) Washington Apple is my new drink.

Things are wrapping up and I am beginning to get excited/nervous/curious/stoked for my trip. I fit everything I need for almost a year in only 3 bags! Downsizing was a challenge but traveling light will be the payoff.

Here is my address in Senegal:
Jessica Lodal
s/c ACI Baobab Center
B.P. 5270
Dakar – Fann
Senegal

Be sure to mark it “Air Mail” and even then it will take about 10 days to 2 weeks to arrive.

That is for anyone who wants to send me a letter. For those who think e-mail is 100 times faster, it is, so you can e-mail me at jessiethelaxgurl@hotmail.com or jlodal@lclark.edu.

I am looking forward to an awesome 11 months but I have never been to Africa before, so if anyone who has been there has any advice for me, I am open to suggestions. If you have been someplace that is amazing, let me know where it is so maybe I can check it out. Conversely, if you went somewhere that you wish you hadn't, same deal, let me know. My travel plans are still pretty up in the air. For the third phase of my trip, I have started applying for volunteer positions in Ghana, Mali, Togo and Senegal. I hope to work in either a teaching, women's rights, youth outreach, or orphanage position.

It is anchors away on Wednesday. I am flying to Portland at 5 pm, so say your good-byes before then. I have a flight out Thursday morning at 8:45 that will take me to Chicago, Paris and then Dakar. I will arrive around 9 pm on Friday. It will be a long few days.

So, the next time you hear from me, I will probably be settled with my host family, recovering from my first day of school. I am going to try and stick with the Monday posting, so I will talk to y'all in a week!
Peace,
~Jess~

2 comments:

  1. Jen really liked rafting on the Nile. That would be pretty cool.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will send your e-mail / blog to Jim's mother Ginny. She visited Africa and may have some insight.

    ReplyDelete